Thursday, May 9, 2013

CORY STRAND "STAIRWELL: ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK RECORDING" CDr (AOW 77)

The soundtrack to the second thesis film I scored this semester, for my friend Ryan Franzman's project "Stairwell."  "Stairwell" revolves around a mysterious entity residing in the titular domain,  a bizarre infinite space with no beginning or end.  All attempts at exploration result in death or disappearance.  The music for this film is similar to the music I turned in for my own film "213," but whereas that project relied more on direct menace and disorientation, the score for "Stairwell" heads down a much more straightforward path.  This is full on John Carpenter worship in the "Escape From New York" vein, with dark spaced out synths buoyed with electronic drum pulses by way of Wendy Carlos's score for Kubrick's "The Shining."  For me it was a resounding success, and I am very happy to share the record with people.

Included as a bonus on this album is the first soundtrack I did for Ryan, for his film "Midnight Caller."  Loosely based on Lovecraftian ideas of the cosmos, the music falls into a similar Carpenter-ish vein, with a looser, more chaotic feel.
Packaged in a DVD case in a limited edition of 10 hand-numbered copies.  $10 ppd. in the United States, $22 rest of world.

ORDER HERE: www.altarofwasterecords.storenvy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment