Friday, June 13, 2014

CORY STRAND "VISIONS OF THE COUNTRY: A REINTERPRETATION" 3CDr (AOW 198)

I started playing guitar when I was 12 years old.  At the time my major influences were Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King, James Hetfield, and Kurt Cobain.  I knew little beyond that, and though my first guitar was an acoustic (my dad made me learn on an acoustic because he said the best players learned to play that way to really develop the callouses and hand strength) I had no interest in being an "acoustic player."  Fast forward a good number of years later and my ears were far more open.  I fell in love with the work of Fahey, Bishop, Rose, Jones, and of course, Robbie Basho.  Few guitarists were as classically romantic or as insanely talented-Basho seemed able to tap into the true cosmic ether and bring back pieces that were comprised of nothing other than honesty and beauty.  To this day he stands as a favorite, and "Visions Of The Country," his legendary album for Windham Hill, is easily one of his best and most accessible works.
In reworking this material, I have sought to transpose the beauty Basho gave to us with the guitar into something more drawn out and kosmiche.  I think i have very much succeeded.  The ten lengthy ambient pieces here stand as some of my loveliest, most meditative work to date, recalling the oceanic blurdrone of Tim Hecker and Troum.  I think even Robbie Basho would find something lovely here.  I'm very proud of this one and it is my honor to share it with you.
Packaged in a DVD case in a limited edition of 5 hand-numbered copies.  $20 ppd. in the United States, $33 rest of world.

ORDER HERE: www.altarofwasterecords.storenvy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment